Saturday, March 19, 2005

music

free
yes, i'm a hopeless romantic. and yes, i'll admitt, i do own this album. this might be surprising to some of you, but for those of you who know me well, you know me as a "radio slut." or at least that's what my husband calls me.

a "radio slut" as defined by my husband is someone who "only listens to the crap that the radio plays." in response to this i call him a "music snob." A "music snob" as defined by me is someone who has a very limited idea of what "good" music is.

there are many avenues to finding good music. the radio just happens to be one of my avenues. i will not deny that my husband has good taste in music, but i do deny the idea that you can't find good music through the radio.

case and point: The Beatles...........i rest my case.

so, needless to say, due to being called a "radio slut" many songs i like have been put on my music list of "guilty pleasures." celine dion is one of them. at least this song, on this album.

background: i heard this song for the first time in highschool. i think it came out either my junior or senior year. i fell in love with it immediately. this was when i encountered my first "music snob." it was my high school American Sign Language teacher.

i was an "A" student up until my final signing project where i had to stand up in front of the entire class and sign continuously for 3-5 minutes. i was, what you call, "the teacher's pet." however, i managed to tarnish that role due to my choice in music.

ya, you guessed it, i signed this song.......and to my shagrin, so did 5 or more other young, giddy, romantical, highschool girls in the class. i'm sure more than my song choice went into determining my final grade on that project; however, i knew i had chosen the wrong song when i got a great big sigh and subsequent, eyes to the ground, slow, disappointed head shake from my teacher upon my announcement of the song I would be signing. i think he had high hopes that i would go on and become some great interpreter (which was my career goal at the time) and he could forever see himself as the one that contributed to my "interpreter greatness." all his hopes were unfortunately dashed to the ground and destroyed the minute i chose the "in" pop song at the time. oh the potential..... :)

when i think back to that moment, i see myself signing like pedro in napoleon dynamite............ya, like a dork.

you think i'd have learned and immediately ceased liking the song but no. today i still like it and here it is, lyrics and all.

And in your eyes I see ribbons of color
I see us inside of each other
I feel my unconscious merge with yours
And I hear a voice say, "What's his is hers"

I'm falling into you
This dream could come true
And it feels so good falling into you

I was afraid to let you in here
Now I have learned love can't be made in fear
The walls begin to tumble down
And I can't even see the ground

I'm falling into you
This dream could come true
And it feels so good falling into you

Falling like a leaf, falling like a star
Finding a belief, falling where you are

Catch me, don't let me drop!
Love me, don't ever stop!

So close your eyes and let me kiss you
And while you sleep I will miss you

I'm falling into you
This dream could come true
And it feels so good falling into you

Falling like a leaf, falling like a star
Finding a belief, falling where you are

Falling into you

don't worry, there'll be more postings in the future from my "guilty pleasure" music list but i don't want to overwhelm you all right now so i'll give you a breather.

so, are you a "music snob" or a "radio slut" and if you're a "radio slut" (like me apparently) what are some from your music "guilty pleasures" list? i know i'm not the only one....don't even try and deny it.

12 comments:

Nate (Teresa's Husband) aka music snob said...

I would call someone a "radio slut" when your musical taste is influenced by what you hear on the radio! Allowing someone else to determine what is good for you instead of you deciding that for yourself.

Teresa said...

just because some music i like was heard on the radio first, doesn't mean it's not good music or that i'm allowing someone else to decide that for me! you make no sence Mr. Nate..... :)

Moogle said...

I guess I am mostly a music snob because I have very defined musical tastes and I like what I like even if no one else does.

I think I am a little confused as to what a radio slut is... I don't let the radio tell me what to like. Meaning if I hate a song I will hate it no matter how popular it becomes, and if I love a song I will love it no matter how unpopular it is.

But at the same time I do like a lot of the music that I hear on the radio (depending on the station). So am I a partial radio slut because a lot of my new music choices are influenced by songs that I hear on the radio for the first time??

Another Radio Slut said...

How can I put this... top 20 radio is not cool. Not that being top 20 intrinsically makes a song bad -as Teresa already pointed out, the Beatles are good, and who can count how many "number one hits" they put out- but the fact that everyone loves the top 20, and that top 20 is mostly all that gets airtime on most stations causes those tunes to become rather dull. I can't blame the music industry for putting out so much top 20 music; to them music is an industry, and top 20 is a surefire way to bring in the cash.

Needless to say, I don't really appreciate my favorite artists (that I found outside of the radio) getting lots of airtime, because it will only be a matter of time until that artist will be overplayed. However, I do in fact listen to the radio, and every once and again something good will be played. Even if most of the music follows the same patterns and trends of the time. Just don't count on it being "your" music for very long.
-Kenny

Mary said...

teresa - i would never call myself a music snob (as defined by webster's, "a person who believes himself or herself to have superior tastes and is condescending toward those with different tastes") and i refuse to be called a music slut (even if listening to the spice girls is highly objectionable - i happen to recall fond memories of high school dances whenever i listen to "wannabe").

i think one of the ideas behind music is to lose yourself in it. and if music does that by encouraging you to think deeply or elicitintg your best artistic talents or just making you want to get loose and dance, i'm all for it. whether it be justin timberlake or the red house painters, bring it all on.

Teresa said...

Tracy, ya I think I'm like you. good way to describe it too. I'll like what I like no matter what, even if it's not on the radio and sometimes when it is....my musical taste is not defined by what I hear on the radio.......if I were to walk into a music store and listen to random cd's I know I would find music I like that I know would not get played on the radio....and vise-versa(sp). The fact of the matter is I do decide for myself...I think that is the key determining factor.

Kenny, I agree with you too. I think the "top 20" thing is why I like NRK; they still repeat the top 20 songs but they make a very good effort not to play them 20 times or more each day!! I've liked the change in NRK for that reason.

Teresa said...

RIGHT ON MARY!!! Thank You!! :) So there, Nate! :)

Nate (Teresa's Husband) aka music snob said...

So there, Nate! I don't get it. I don't disagree and I would still say I'm a music snob! So there, Teresa!!! ;)

Teresa said...

Nate,

oh so your actually admitting that you're ok being "(as defined by webster's, "a person who believes himself or herself to have superior tastes and is condescending toward those with different tastes")"??? Sounds a little judgmental don't you think? :)

Nate (Teresa's Husband) aka music snob said...

Hey, when your right, your right! ;-P

Kenny said...

Truer words have never been spoken. When I'm right, I'm right. Don't anybody try to think differently. Oh, and when Nate's right, he's right too. This concept applies to everyone, except for when it's in contradiction to the two previous examples.

Take that as you will.

wendy said...

I guess I have to say that listening to the radio can't dictate what music I enjoy- Being a news hore I predominantly listen to NPR (or does that just make me a nerd).

Side Note: And hey you two, do I have to call an intervention? ;)