Friday, September 2, 2005

isms

so I walked into a public restroom about a month ago and saw a bunch of graffiti on the wall; it said:

"Death to isms!!" then under it was a bunch of examples..."racism, sexism," etc. I had to laugh as I read it though because although I agree with the written message.....I'm thinking to myself what about the bigger message, the unspoken message you're (whoever it was) communicating......what about vandalism?

....I have yet to get the bumper sticker that says "BE the change you wish to see in the world" to put on my car....fighting isms like racism, sexism, etc. is always easier said than done....I believe change happens one person at a time and starts with the individual themselves.

really, what kind of social change is going to be brought about against "isms" by vandalizing on a wall in a public restroom....come on!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well it got you thinking about it long enough to write this post.

Teresa said...

yes, you are right about that i suppose....however, the "it" that caused me to think all this time was the contradiction in their message instead of the original message intended, which i'm assuming was social change.

i guess, i just feel that there are better ways to go about bringing social change than vandalism.....there are plenty of community efforts out there to get involved with to try and fight isms. time spent volunteering with one of these community groups would bring much more fruit to a persons efforts, than vandalism would. some other community group will only come to clean up the vandalism anyway.......and really, in my opinion, i can't think of any good reason to destroy public property...or anyone else's property for that matter....

...just my thoughts on it....