Tuesday, August 16, 2005

spies

spies
I awake to find no peace of mind
I said, how do you live as a fugitive?

Down here where I cannot see so clear.

I said, what do I know?
Show me the right way to go
And the spies came out of the water
But you’re feeling so bad cos you know
And the spies hide out in every corner
But you can’t touch them no
Cos they’re all spies, they’re all spies

I awake to see that no one is free
We’re all fugitives
Look at the way we live
Down here, I cannot sleep from fear no

I said, which way do I turn?
I forget everything I learn
But the spies came out of the water
But you’re feeling so bad cos you know
And the spies hide out in every corner
But you can’t touch them though
Cos they’re all spies, they’re all spies

And if we don’t hide here
They’re going to find us
If we don’t hide now
They’re going to catch us where we sleep
And if we don’t hide here
They’re going to find us
~Coldplay - Parachutes

Click here to listen to a clip from itunes.

for whatever reason, I was raised in a very fear-driven home. everyone else (outside the family) were always not to be trusted...."they don't understand," "they don't know," etc........there was also an ever present feeling of paranoia and irrationalism in my home life................hence "spies." and i felt like we were constantly running and always isolated; we were essentially "fugitives."

4 comments:

allan said...

Teresa, Coldplay is the greatest. I went to their show this past weekend at Alpine Valley and it was phenomenal. I want to take this chance to brag that I knew Coldplay when they were still playing in small pubs in the town I lived in. And now look where the lads are. They got 35,000 people to drive out to the middle of nowhere in Wisconsin to see them jam. I love it!

Teresa said...

Ya they are really great! And I forgot to mention....I'm going to their show here at the Amphitheater tonight!!!! Wooohoooo!

Teresa said...

Last night was soooo great! One thing that stood out to me the most about Coldplay was that they really tried to interact with the crowd....not many bands that I've seen try to do that much. A highlight was when big, huge, yellow balloons with yellow confetti inside them were released from the back of the stadium from the ceiling into the crowd, half way thru the song "yellow." The only bummer about the concert was that although 6 of my other friends were in attendance....they were not sitting with me. I bought my ticket the day they went on sale and got a great seat, but at the price of being a loner during the concert. Honestly, it felt a little weird to be all by myself. However, I enjoy people watching and I got plenty of that in....I always enjoy seeing what people wear to concerts and wonder...do they dress like that on a regular basis or did they dress up for the concert? Hmmm........I love it. It was a great concert.

allan said...

Yep, it was a great show. Glad you liked it. Crazy time for me but I loved the show nonetheless. Their interaction is neat; sincere unlike those stupid rocker bands that think the more they cuss the cooler they are. I love X&Y. I'm entertaining the thought of sneaking in one more show before they leave. Mmmmm...